5 Modern Kitchen Design Trends
Kitchens today are being designed in a completely new way than they have been in the past, with new priorities such as eco-friendly features and entertainment in mind. This concept is known as a “Social Kitchen” and is designed for not only cooking but also as a central hub or entertainment spot for family and friends. I’ve compiled a list of what I think are some of the most popular modern kitchen design trends of 2013.
1. Mixing Unique Materials and Textures- Incorporating unique materials and textures, not just in kitchens, but throughout a home has been a huge trend this year. With the rise in popularity of LED lighting and the beautiful results you achieve when paired with textured wall paper or art, I predict that this trend will be around for many years to come. Click here to learn more about how LED lights influence design.
2. Repurposed Furnishings- Since Pinterest has taken over and more people are watching their wallets, do-it-yourself projects have never been so popular nor so readily available. Repurposed wooden furniture is showing up in many kitchens across the United States, adding wonderful personality and great texture to the area. These pieces are also great conversation starters.
3. Eco-Friendly Materials and Features- Along with the DIY craze, people are starting to become eco-friendly for the sake of our impending pollution problems as well as a way to save money. Choosing eco-friendly appliances such as Energy Star dishwashers, refrigerators and induction cooktops are becoming a no-brainer. Furthermore, people are opting to choose other eco-friendly materials that release fewer toxic chemicals into your home environment. For more information about alternative environmentally safe materials, follow the link!
4. Quartz Countertops- Quartz has been a popular kitchen counter top choice for the last couple of years but this year the percentage of Quartz counter tops has increased by 11%. People are choosing Quartz as a granite alternative because of its durability. Unlike granite, quartz is not susceptible to heat damage or acidic damage and is harder to chip or scratch.
5. Open Floorplans & Comfortable Seating- Having a “Social Kitchen” means having an open floor plan and plenty of comfortable seating for nights of lounging and long conversations with family and friends. Open floor plans are more inviting because there is plenty of space for people to hang out without feeling like they are crowded-in or in the way.
These 5 design trends are only a small portion of some great examples of a modern kitchen but I hope it has given you some good ideas and a good start for your modern kitchen design. Have anymore questions? The staff at Willetts Design would love to help! Contact us today at: 760-777-9044