Philosophy & Approach
Translating your inspired expression of home.
WE BELIEVE that each space is a tangible expression of the individuals who live there. That every person’s concept of home is subjective and deeply personal. And that the challenge for us as a design entity is to translate that idea into a beautiful, inviting and inspiring interior. This excites us to no end.
In truth, designing a custom interior is an intimate undertaking; we go to great lengths to know our clients in an authentic way, fostering close, trusted relationships. We approach each project as a wholly unique endeavor. The process begins with a heightened form of listening, engaging in an extensive dialogue to learn our clients’ afﬁnities and personalities. Whether we incorporate historical reference points or contemporary inﬂuences, we are not deﬁned by stylistic categories. Rather, clients inform our work: their passions and pastimes, their travels, how they live and what they love. On balance, isn’t that the point?
From an initial interview, we are able to deﬁne the scope of the project and determine both the speciﬁc requirements and timeline. We assess everyone who will contribute to the team, from an audio consultant to a landscape designer, and engage in a myriad of other speciﬁc steps (see our Interior Design Services for a complete list).
Innovation. Collaboration. Commitment.
Once the project has launched, we are hands-on through every aspect, creating detailed architectural speciﬁcations whenever needed. Be it artisanal craftsmanship, ﬁne ﬁnishes or a detailed design for built-ins, we ensure that specs are met with exacting standards. The ﬁrm collaborates with contractor/builder, architect and client on everything from hard surfaces and wall coverings to ﬁxtures and built-ins.
Design that delights our clients.
The simplicity, sophistication and beauty of a completed interior is the ultimate product of a sequential and thorough process. From start to ﬁnish, we work in close partnership, articulating and communicating each step and approval phase throughout. Client service is the centerpiece of our business. No matter what, we propose that the entire process should be an exciting adventure and, despite the inevitable glitches, a joyful, transformational experience. In the end, the result is great design our clients are delighted with. And that makes it all worth it.
Solutions that perform. Interiors that stir the senses.
Willetts Design & Associates is a full-service interior design ﬁrm offering everything from complete interior design services and architectural speciﬁcations to art consulting and curation. We are known for creating elegant, comfortable custom interiors that stand the test of time. Whatever your project requires, our team has the expertise to see it through.
Interior Design is of course at the heart of what we offer. For us, it’s a total, multi-tiered approach with a cohesive program of steps to successfully complete each endeavor. Included in our service offerings are the following:
- Evaluate project with client to determine needs, goals and budget
- Measure all areas included in project
- Coordinate with the architect and general contractor/builder to facilitate conceptual design and client’s requirements
- Develop conceptual design including furniture, color schemes, ﬁnishes and materials (speciﬁcations)
- Provide drawings such as detailed plans and room elevations
- Design and draft custom furniture and tile/stone concepts
- Select appliances and plumbing ﬁxtures
- Provide speciﬁcations and schedules for hard surface ﬁnishes and hardware Select wallcoverings, window treatments, lighting, furniture, fabrics, art and accessories
- Coordinate with trade vendors and sales representatives
- Purchase designer materials and furnishings as needed and approved by client Handle on-site consultations with general contractor/builder and project manager Provide progress reports throughout project development, showing images of progression
- Oversee on-site installation of interior furnishings
- Upon completed installation, identify any pending tasks or remaining details
From a detailed matrix for appliances and plumbing to reﬂected ceiling and lighting plans, ﬂooring material selections, ﬁreplace surrounds, interior door speciﬁcations, molding design, custom cabinets, countertops, closet system layouts and more, our Interior Design Speciﬁcation Schedule is both thorough and comprehensive. It can include:
- Appliance Specifications
- Plumbing Specifications
- Reflected Ceiling Plan: This includes selecting everything from beams to crown molding and other details, and conceiving specialty finishes.
- Lighting Plan: The Lighting Plan can be a comprehensive endeavor including the following steps: update layout to Furniture Plan; verify cable, phone and computer layout; coordinate with an automation consultant as needed; specify all built-in general lighting, and provide decorative fixtures.
- Automated Window Treatment Specifications
- Coordination with Automation, Lighting Control and Audio Review.
- Floor Material Specifications, designs and layout.
- Walls: Provide paint schedule as well as specify faux finishes and wallcoverings.
- Specify and/or design custom fireplace surrounds, materials, finishes and logs or accessories.
- Interior Door Specifications including material callout, finishes and hardware.
- Molding Specifications: This includes material selection with both stone and wood finishes callout and location.
- Design and detail cabinets and built-ins; provide hardware specifications, handles and knobs; provide Willetts Design-created CAD drawings for approval.*
- Countertop Designs: Specify materials, edge details and backsplash layouts.
- Bath and shower layouts: Design and specify stone, tile and mosaic designs.
- Specify and/or design closet systems.
- Bath Accessories Specifications
*NOTE: Willetts Design & Associates is one of the only local firms that supplies CAD drawings for interior elevations, bath, kitchen and floor tile designs and custom millwork. We work as an integral part of the team, a key component of our offerings. (We’ve been called the “builder’s designer.”)
Art Consulting and Curation:
We believe that exceptional fine art is always a rare find; that it becomes a vital, intrinsic part of a home’s interior rewards both the visual result and the preferences of the owner. We are well-versed in the nuances of identifying and acquiring fine art on behalf of our clients, offering art consulting and curation as an important service to our clients.